CLIENT: Rhode Island Afterschool Plus Alliance, State Alliance of Rhode Island YMCAs
ISSUE: Facing a severe fiscal crisis, state officials proposed cutting $16 million from Rhode Island child care programs and child care providers. These deep cuts threatened to kick thousands of children out of quality child care programs and put several providers out of business.
CAMPAIGN: Advocacy Solutions built a statewide coalition of stakeholders affected by the proposed cuts and coordinated an aggressive lobbying, grassroots, and public relations campaign to convince legislators to restore funding.
- Formed the Care For Kids coalition and recruited more than 30 coalition members including the United Way of Rhode Island, Urban League of Rhode Island, Rhode Island KIDS COUNT, Warwick Mayor Scott Avedisian, and Providence Mayor David Cicilline.
- Created the coalition’s brand identity including coalition name, logo, website and collateral materials.
- Authored all coalition press releases, op-eds, and letters to the editor which received coverage in The Providence Journal, The Providence Business News, Warwick Beacon, Providence Visitor, NBC 10, ABC 6, and Metro Networks radio news.
- Managed a multi-organization direct lobbying effort.
- Coordinated coalition testimony at House and Senate hearings.
- Organized a Rhode Island child care providers’ state house lobby day.
- Organized a Care For Kids state house rally that attracted more than 200 supporters and generated significant press coverage.
RESULT: Rhode Island legislators and the general public learned about the importance of state child care programs and legislators restored $7.6 in funding to these programs.