CLIENT: University of Rhode Island
ISSUE: The University of Rhode Island engaged Advocacy Solutions to run a state-wide media and voter outreach campaign to win passage of Question 2, a $78 million bond for the construction of a new chemistry building at the university and an addition to the Art Center at Rhode Island College.
CAMPAIGN: To educate Rhode Island voters about how chemistry and the arts are “Essential 2 Rhode Island’s Future,” Advocacy Solutions:
- Secured endorsements from state business, health care, public safety, and union leaders including the Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce, the Hospital Association of Rhode Island, the Rhode Island Police Chiefs Association, the National Education Association Rhode Island, and the Rhode Island AFL-CIO.
- Organized a campaign kickoff press event at a local ornament manufacturer, ChemArt, to highlight the importance of chemistry and the arts to Rhode Island’s economy. Event garnered coverage in the Providence Journal, Providence Business News, Channel 12, WPRO radio, and other local media outlets.
- Launched and maintained the www. essential2ri.org website and associated blog, Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter accounts.
- Wrote, produced, and placed newspaper, online banner, social media, and radio advertisements.
- Earned editorial endorsements from the Providence Journal, Providence Business News, and the South County Independent, and authored and placed op-eds and letters to the editor in the Providence Journal, Providence Business News, and other local papers.
- Mobilized URI and RIC students, faculty, and staff to serve as poll volunteers on Election Day.
RESULT: Question 2 passed with 55% of the vote.