With the ushering in of the new year, the Rhode Island General Assembly is ready to get back to work starting today at 4:00pm. Here are a few key dates for the 2014 session:
- Opening Day – Tuesday, January 7, 2014
- Last day for Senate public bill introduction – Thursday, February 13, 2014
- Last day for House public bill introduction – Thursday, February 13, 2014
- Winter Recess – February 17-21, 2014
- Reconvene – Tuesday, February 25, 2014
- Last day for Senate Committee consideration of Senate bills – Thursday, April 10, 2014
- Initial House bill hearing deadline for House Committees – Tuesday, April 15, 2014
- Spring Recess – April 21-25, 2014
- Reconvene – Tuesday, April 29, 2014
- Ethics Commission financial statements due on or before Friday, April 25, 2014
In case you missed it here’s a start of session News Roundup special edition:
Providence Journal – 2014: The Key Issues
By Katherine Gregg, Philip Marcelo, and Randal Edgar
Rhode Island’s part-time lawmakers return to Smith Hill Tuesday to wrestle again with the state’s calamitous $75-million investment in Curt Schilling’s 38 Studios, a gaping budget hole and — very possibly — public-employee pensions as well, if secret court-ordered talks produce a proposed settlement.
RIPR: Ready or Not, the General Assembly Is Set to Start Anew
By Ian Donnis
The General Assembly starts action Tuesday afternoon in a year marked by politically complicated issues — the possible fallout of pension mediation and the rising tab for 38 Studios, for starters — and a high-profile race for governor.
WPRI: RI lawmakers, back in session, may get déjà vu
By Ted Nesi
Rhode Island’s 113 state lawmakers may get a sharp sense of déjà vu Tuesday when they return to Smith Hill for the first time since July.