Client: University of Rhode Island
Issue: In the fall of 2014, the University of Rhode Island engaged Advocacy Solutions to serve as the general campaign manager for the Yes On 4 – Engineering Rhode Island’s Future campaign to win voter approval of Question 4, a $125 million bond to build a state-of-the-art new College of Engineering facility.
Campaign: Working closely with URI’s communications team, Advocacy Solutions’ developed and executed a campaign plan to educate Rhode Island voters about the critical importance of Question 4 and a new URI College of Engineering facility to the state’s economic future. Campaign activities included:
• Providing polling analysis and overall campaign strategy consulting.
• Securing endorsements from state business and labor leaders including the Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce, the Rhode Island Manufacturers Association, the Southeastern New England Defense Industry Alliance, the Rhode Island Building and Construction Trades Council, and the Rhode Island AFL-CIO.
• Organizing a successful campaign kickoff event that garnered coverage in all major local television, radio, and print outlets including NBC-10, WPRI-12, ABC 6, WPRO News, the Providence Journal, and the Providence Business News.
• Maintaining the www.Engineering4RI.com campaign website.
• Developing highly engaging and shareable content for the Engineering4RI Facebook page and Twitter account.
• Coordinating all television, radio, print, web, and social media advertising buys.
• Earning editorial endorsements from the Providence Journal, Providence Business News, Warwick Beacon, Newport Daily News, and the South County Independent, and authored and placed op-eds and letters to the editor in the Providence Journal, Providence Business News, and other local papers.
Result: Question 4 passed with one of the highest margins ever (64%) for a higher education bond question.